Approximately 75,000 people live in Caledon. We live here because it is a safe and active community. It is an environmentally conscious community. We live in Caledon because it is close to large urban centres and major transportation routes. We live here and work here.
The people in our community want to make a difference and see positive change. Our residents make Caledon a vibrant place to live, work and play. Council ensures the voice of our community is heard by affecting change to policies, practices and services. Municipal staff work diligently to ensure the things that are important to our community come to life - they make it happen.
Caledon is spread over 700 square kilometres, and is a true community of communities that sits in the southern reaches of Headwaters tourism area. Scenic countryside and quaint villages offer something for everyone in Caledon. Outdoor pursuits such as hiking and cycling are a great way to enjoy our natural and built heritage.
Caledon is primarily rural in nature, however it does border the urban centers of Brampton and Orangeville. Caledon consists of an amalgamation of a number of urban areas, villages, and hamlets; its major urban centre with typified suburban housing mixed with old town charm is Bolton. Many of Toronto's wealthiest citizens own large country estates in the area, among them many members of the Eaton Family, Norman Jewison, Elton John and the inventors of the board game Trivial Pursuit.
Maclean's magazine has named Caledon as the safest town in Canada to live in.
The primary administrative and commercial centre of Caledon is the town of Bolton, which the municipal government estimated as having a population of 26,478 in 2006.
Smaller communities in the town include Albion, Alloa, Alton, Belfountain, Boston Mills, Brimstone, Caledon, Caledon East, Campbells Cross, Castlederg, Cataract, Cedar Meadows, Cedar Mills, Cheltenham, Claude, Coulterville, Ferndale, Forks of the Credit, The Grange, Humber, Humber Grove, Inglewood, Kilmanagh, Lockton, Mayfield West, Macville, Melville, McLeodville, Mono Mills, Mono Road, New Glasgow, Palgrave, Queensgate, Rockside, Rosehill, Sandhill, Silver Creek, Sleswick, Sligo, Snelgrove, Stonehart, Taylorwoods, Terra Cotta, Tormore, Valleywood and Victoria.
The Town of Caledon was established on January 1, 1974 in conjunction with the creation of regional government. Representing an amalgamation of the former County of Peel townships of Albion, Caledon and the northern half of Chinguacousy, the Town of Caledon forms the northern municipality of the present Region of Peel.
The name ‘Caledon’ was chosen through public referendum in 1973; the other choices on the ballot were ‘Albion’ and ‘Cardwell’, the latter being an historic electoral district from 1867-1908 that encompassed the Town of Orangeville and four neighbouring townships.
Trails and Protected Areas
The Town of Caledon has over 70 parks totalling more than 300 acres. There is also over 260 km of publicly accessible trails within the Town of Caledon including 105 km of the Bruce Trail. The Town of Caledon currently owns and maintains the 36 km of the Caledon Trailway, and a 1 km portion of the Etobicoke Creek Trail.
The range between minimum price and maximum price is incorrect. Please submit the correct range.